Here is my update for Week 1:
The permed portion of my hair (since it is twiced permed) will eventually all break off. I've been through this before with my perm back in 1999. It all eventually departed lol. Once you have processed the hair (this time being double processed), I don't care what you may do to it to prevent the breakage, it is inevitable as I have learned! If it wasn't for my new growth, my hair would be around my bra strap right now but right now it rests at a little below my backside.
My hair has improved the past few weeks because of the following:
- I went a full month without fast food in January and ate healthier
- The past week I've ate a well rounded diet with correct ratios of proteins, carbs and fat
- I'm doing more scalp massages (I will be covering this in later posts when I continue on with my Hair Care series)
- I'm stressing less - yes, stress causes hair loss and slows down the growth rate, not to mention it causes physical illness
- I'm praying more for my hair - asking God to help me during this time of 'growing out' from my old perms and praying for my hair to be like it used to be naturally - silky and easy to manage
- I'm rarely using heat and/or product on my "new" growth - I do flat iron JUST the permed part or curl it and put product on it
Growing out a perm is a trying time but I've done this before about 10 years ago and the results in the end were worth it all! I'm treating my new growth very gently and one time I had to blow dry my hair because we had to run somewhere quick and I almost cried because I didn't want heat on my new growth! I prayed and asked God to protect it because I had to get it dry quick and then I had faith he would and went ahead using an Ion blow dryer that is gentle.
I've noticed a lot of breakage this week, mostly because my double processed ends are ready to leave and I have no idea how short my hair is going to get but hopefully my new growth will continue growing at a good rate and make up the difference!
Here is a photo of me this morning (it was early, so hard to smile hehe) Even though I flat ironed my permed portion, you can tell where it starts because it is lighter and coarser and not as smooth as my new growth, at least I can tell lol. =0