There are exceptions to a lot of things in the Bible that God did not include. Had He included them, the Bible would have been enormous. There are some that say there are no exceptions to anything. Let's look at two views on this:
- Only what is IN the Bible
- There are exceptions to certain things
Only what is IN the Bible; No Exceptions
A lot of people think they believe this but when we start breaking down things, they realize they don't. However, for this post, let's say that we believe this and there are NO exceptions to anything that isn't laid out in the Bible. Let's take a few topics:
- Divorce - the Bible only states divorce lawful in the case of death or adultery, and desertion if the unbelieving depart. If your spouse beats you or molests your children, you have to remain married and not depart because God didn't give this exception. If you were forced into your marriage as an 8 year old child, you can't divorce or depart because God didn't give this exception. If you are sold to a man for marriage, you can't divorce or depart because God didn't give this exception.
- Don't forsake assembling - if the church or leaders decide to assemble, you can not forsake, no exceptions. It doesn't matter if you are sick, in the hospital on your death's bed - God didn't give an exception.
- Obey husband in everything - if he tells you to stay awake for a week and not sleep, guess what? You better do it, God didn't give any exceptions to this, He said "everything". If he tells you to be a prostitute, curse, smoke, etc. you have to do it - God didn't give any exceptions.
- Obey them that have the rule over you - in regards to Pastors, if a Pastor tells you to do it, you have to. God didn't give any exceptions. If he tells you to quit your job and give him all your money, you must, there are no exceptions. If he tells you to get a vasectomy or prevent children, you must obey him, there are no exceptions.
- Be content with your wages - don't ever ask for a raise or seek another job, God said be content with your wages, no exceptions.
I really hope you are seeing just how illogical it would be to think that God has no exceptions to certain things!
There are exceptions to certain things
- Divorce - I went over this in this post: http://www.christianhomekeeping.com/2017/12/marriage-101-divorce-and-remarriage.html
- Forsaking assembly - 1 or 2 times a week is sufficient most Christians believe for assembling. You aren't in danger of hell if a church decides to have church everyday and you don't go. If you are sick, in the hospital, have a sick child, etc. these are exceptions that most people understand as a given. You should make it a point to assemble at least once a week and be with other believers.
- Obey husband in everything - You wouldn't obey your husband if he is telling you to do something outside of God's will, commandments or that is sinful. There are exceptions to this! You would be crazy to believe there aren't.
- Obey them that have the rule over you - if your Pastor tells you to do something outside of God, well obviously don't but you could also find another Pastor. There are exceptions to this scripture. A pastor doesn't have to marry homosexuals and on and on, even if the church he is a part of tells him to. Obey God rather than man! If your Pastor tells you to get a vasectomy or prevent children, don't obey him! That goes against God's Word and His plan for families. Find a Pastor that doesn't do things that are questionable or just plain wrong.
- Be content with your wages - you can be content and also change your job, ask for a raise, etc. There are exceptions.
There are so many more we could add and show the no-exception vs. exception side of. Please use your God-given brain when reading and living God's Word! He gave us the Holy Spirit to guide us and teach us! Follow His Word YES but also heed the Holy Spirit and realize God can do anything He wants to do!
There are current news stories of people who followed the letter of the law and sinned. I'm reminded of a Pastor, who was married but lustful. He sought out women on a lewd website and had private adulterous affairs. However, he convinced himself he couldn't divorce his wife, he had to keep God's Word after all - so he killed her instead, so he could be "free" to be marry another woman. There are these kind of people out there, who hold so strong to ONE thing in the Bible and forsake the others. The issue of marriage/divorce/remarriage is one of them. I've seen people, like this Pastor, stick to the no-divorce thing so diligently but take their bed of ease in other areas and commit all manner of sins.
We should try and follow God's Word as it is written but also realize, there may be exceptions. This is why it is so important for Christians to be filled with the Holy Spirit, led by the Spirit and know the voice of God.